Member, Board of Directors
Sound Community Services, Inc.
Member of the Board of Directors
Together we change lives by creating a better future through empowerment, opportunity and knowledge, through living our values of integrity, teamwork and service to our clients, community and each other.
For more information, please visit Sound Community Services’ website at www.soundcommunityservices.org.
The Board, as a group and as individual members, will support the work of Sound Community Services, Inc. (“Sound”) and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Sound’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Serving as a trusted adviser to the CEO as s/he develops and implements Sound’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Sound for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving Sound’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried forward
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Sound to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Sound’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Sound serves
Sound Community Services Board Members will consider Sound a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Sound can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Sound expects to have 100% of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Sound’s Board Members will serve a one (1) year term to be eligible for re-appointment for an additional three (3) year term. Board meetings will be held monthly. Committee meetings will be held on a monthly basis, or as needed and determined by the CEO and Board Chair.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Sound’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. Her/His accomplishments will allow her/him to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of Sound’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- A natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Sound’s beneficiaries
**Service on Sound’s Board of Directors is without remuneration**